You are here: Home > International Students > International Students Insurance

International Students

U.S. Visas Information
Orientation Program
How to Get a Driver’s License
Social Security Number
Scholarships for International Students
Education in the U.S.
Banking in the U.S.
International Students Insurance
Tax Return and Filing

International Students Insurance

All international students and scholars must maintain insurance coverage during their stay in the United States (United States Information Agency Rule 22 CFR Part 514 and California State University Executive Order Number 622).

Understanding How Health Insurance Works in America

  • Insurance plans usually have specific doctors and/or hospitals where you may receive medical care. These places and people are usually called your “network” or “provider group.”
  • The "network" or "provider group" have a business contract with your insurance company to "provide" you with healthcare when you are sick.
  • Ask your insurance company about how to find a doctor or hospital that is in your plan. There is usually a (toll-free 800) phone number to call or an online directory listing the names, addresses and phone numbers of doctors and hospitals in your plan..
  • Find out if your insurance company will let you go outside their “network” for medical care.
  • Learn what the process is before you have a medical emergency. Certain insurance companies ask that you get permission to go to an “outside of network” hospital. Some ask that you call them before you go to an emergency room at a hospital. It is important to know what your insurance company’s rules are because going outside the network can be very expensive..

How to Get the Most from your Health Insurance

  • Carry your insurance ID card with you.
  • Know the name and location of the network hospitals in your insurance plan that are near where you live and where you are permitted to go..
  • Know what injuries and sicknesses are covered by your insurance plan and which injuries and sicknesses that are not.
  • Write down the emergency information (doctor, hospital, insurance details) so housemates and companions know how to get help for you.
  • Find and register with your own primary care (general) doctor before you are seriously sick or injured.


What To Do When You Are Sick or Injured

  • Go to or call Student Health Services (SHS) on the SFSU campus during business hours if you can.
  • If you have a doctor, call your doctor. They will return your call if it is after business hours and tell you what to do.
  • In an emergency, go to the nearest Emergency Room at a hospital or call 911
  • Show your insurance ID card to the doctor or at the hospital before you receive medical care. Be ready to pay your “co-pay” (your share of the expense).
  • Send in the completed claim forms to your insurance company with the required documents. Answer later requests for more information quickly.

When Do I Use Student Health Services (SHS)?

  • Check with your insurance company to see if you are required to use the Student Health Services before you go to a private doctor off-campus. Ask them if you need a “referral” (written permission to receive medical treatment from a different doctor).
  • Check with your insurance company to see if you will be paid for medicine and services you receive and paid for at SHS.
  • If SHS is closed, contact your insurance company’s provider network for help finding a doctor or hospital via phone or online.
  • For SHS hours and appointments, call (415) 338-1251

How to Get Your Medical Bills Paid

  • To have your bills paid or to receive repayment for bills that you have already paid, you must file a “claim” with your insurance company. This claim tells your insurance company that you have received medical care and what those costs were
  • Find out whether you need a claim form or if you can file the claim electronically. Forms are sometimes available online at insurance company websites.
  • A claim lists specific medical and payment details. It is your responsibility to make sure a claim has been filed properly. Know the rules of your company.
  • After a few weeks, ask questions! Call the claims department and ask for a status report on your claim.


Test Preparation Schools & Programs Letter & Writing Career & Training

Link to us | Contact us | Home Copyright 2017-2021 All Rights Reserved